Saturday, October 15, 2011

Re-designing myself

“Ask yourself, if there were no praise and no blame, who would I be then? Then you know who you are and what your style is”

- Quentin Crisp


I have loved to sew my own clothes since I was very young. So, many years on, it is about time that I get on with the business of asking myself what my style is. And so that is precisely what I did. I asked myself, "how would I see myself dressing, if I could wear anything?" All of a sudden, I had an idea for a suit. And that idea turned into a collection. And that collection is what I'm working on, here.

This blog is so that I have a record of my progress. I'm not a professional designer, but I do have a lot of knowledge and experience in creating clothing for myself. However I've never tried to create a cohesive collection, and so I thought it might be fun to share this process; maybe it will inspire some of you to do the same! I'd also welcome advice and tips; every garment is such a learning process!


Sew, for me...

I did an inventory of my closet, and really thought about how I would like to dress if there were no judgement about the clothing I wore.
Then I went to the fabric store. This gave me a good understanding of the materials and prints and patterns I have available to me. I came up with about 8 looks, based on my style, the materials available, and and what was missing from my closet.

Croquis, for beginners

My next step was to sketch the ideas, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time drawing, so I swiped some croquis templates by searching google images. Yes, eventually I will be able to sketch quickly without a template, but this is a fantastic help in expediting a my ideas to paper, for now.

Here are the Croquis:



No comments:

Post a Comment