Friday, October 21, 2011

Work in Progress: Faux Fur Vest - Going from Yeti to Betty

It was suppose to be the simple project. I was going to just follow the pattern with a sleeve alteration, and call it a day. Three simple pieces of faux fur, and a lining with pockets.
My first encounter with making a faux fur jacket was the last post. I changed the pattern drastically from a varsity jacket to a box coat. It went so well, that I thought following a pattern for a vest would be a piece of cake. After all, there are no sleeves.
But I think I picked the wrong pattern...
I chose another Vogue Very Easy pattern, #V8753. They show faux fur on the front of the pattern, so I thought this would be a good choice. I was golden. Easy peasy. All those phrases before the other shoe drops. Including Whoops!




Now, I'm usually very good at picking a pattern and imagining the outcome in a certain fabric. And in my defense, it is a nice pattern, and lining drapes beautifully, so this is great for soft thin fabrics. But I misjudged how the bulk would effect the drape of the garment. Even cutting the pattern in an extra small minus seam allowance, I created this:
Inside-out, you can really see the sizing faux-pas


I should mention here, that I'm slight of build, especially around the shoulders. What I wanted to create, was a feeling of luxury and femininity. What I did create, was a friend of Yukon Cornelius. It was so big, I looked like a Yeti. The shoulders were a good six inches too big (and this is AFTER I cut down the pattern!). It completely overpowered  my frame. Wasn't this suppose to be the easy project?

The first thing I did was create a curve in the figure. I took about four inches off of the side seams, up to the shoulders. Next, I cut down the big scarf by two inches. I also took two inches off the bottom. I left the bottom edge raw, and will trim it, but not hem it, it will stay well because it is a knit.

So far, it looks like this:



It's better, but I have more sleeve to take off, and pockets to fix (the side slits aren't laying right).
Then there's all of that extra lining.

What a waste of good fabric.

Working with faux fur is very different then I imagined. It's harder, because you really have to sculpt your design. I found that using an exacto blade is perfect for avoiding cutting the hair, and creating exactly the line you want. I hand finished both furs, and I think overall it's a good choice.

This isn't finished. An this isn't over. Faux fur, I will prevail.


No comments:

Post a Comment