But the show has had an effect on the 2011-2012 fashion season, so I wanted to reflect something of that era (late 50s, early sixties) in my suit. I wanted something Chanel in proportion, with and updated feel to the bottom.
The Jacket is based on Very Easy Vogue Pattern V8146, with alterations to the collar, sleeves,side seams, and back embellishment. I added a lining, whch does not have the back cape.
The pants are loosely based on the BurdaStyle Marilyn Trouser #6065 (this is a downloadable pattern). I had to shrink the smallest pattern down by 4'' all around, re-designed the waistband, and the line of the outseam, and, of course, shorten them into shorts. But you can see a remnant of the original pattern in both the pleats and pockets.
I also wanted a few accessories to go with this outfit. I've always wanted a Chanel purse for its aesthetic value, but this kind of extravagance is not a part of my lifestyle. So I decided to make a Chanel 2.55 "Homage" bag.
Finally, I wanted a matching "Lucy" hat. I watched a ton of "I Love Lucy" as a child, and I just love Lucille Ball's style and taste in that show. Back then, hats were as important an accessory for a woman as a handbag or necklace, and the hats she wore reflected that importance. I designed a hat that has a flavor of Lucy, but updated to have a propor
tion of a cycling cap.These projects were all quite a struggle for me, and I stretched myself as a seamstress, but overall, I'm satisfied with the result.
Pics, soon.
Vogue Pattern V8146 is a beautiful and easy Pattern.
No comments:
Post a Comment